Immigration rules

Regulations Regarding Immigration Procedures

Documents required to legally stay in Poland for study period:

  • EU/EEA citizens – valid national ID card or passport
  • Non EU/EEA citizens – visa and temporary residence permit

“Wiza pobytowa krajowa” (code D 09) – allows for entry and continuous stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland or several stays lasting together more than 3 months but not exceeding together a year within visa validity. This type of a visa is valid only in the country of studies and does allow trips to other countries.

“Wiza pobytowa jednolita” – allows for single or multiple entries on the condition that neither length of continuous stay nor total amount of consecutive stays in Schengen territory do not exceed 3 months during each 6 month period counting from the first entry to its territory. The visa indicates the number of entries to the county within its validity, e.g. 01 – one entry, multiple – unlimited number of entries. In practice a bearer of such a visa should start application procedures to obtain Karta Tymczasowego Pobytu (Residence Card) right after arrival but not later than one day before its expiry.

Both types of visas are granted by Polish Consulates abroad.

VISAS – Ministry of Foreign Affairs Republic of Poland – website (

Immigration Rules

In order to legalize the stay with the purpose to study in Poland a foreign student has to apply for the Residence Card in the local Immigration Office.

In order to follow the procedure a student has to submit:

  1. 2 filled application form (in Polish) (available from the Immigration Office) or in application generator
  2. 4 recent photographs 4,5×3,5 cm
  3. Valid travel document (passport – original for inspection + 2 copies, air tickets, boarding cards)
  4. Payment confirmation of stamp duty
  5. Certificate of enrollment into the University
  6. Proof of payment for the studies
  7. Health insuramce confirmation
  8. Documents indicating the cost of living (accomodation)
  9. Documents confirming that the candidate has sufficient funds to cover the costs of living in Poland- bank report on the history of banking account- a document certyfying the scholarshipAfter Poland’s joining Schengen Zone, since September 2008 additional regulations regarding foreigners arriving to Poland with the purpose of starting or continuation of studies have been introduced. Foreign students are obligated to possess quoted below minimum amounts of money to cover living expenses on the territory of Poland and return fares:
    • 701 PLN/or equivalent in foreign currency for each month of stay
    • 528 PLN/or equivalent for each family member
    • 500 PLN/ or equivalent to cover return fares if a student arrives from a European third country
    • 2500PLN/or equivalent to cover return fares if a student arrives from a country outside Europe.

Foreign currencies are converted into PLN using average rate of exchange announced by NBP (National Bank of Poland) on the last working day preceding foreigner’s entry into Polish territory. Exchange rates are available here.

When applying, the foreigner is obliged to submit fingerprints.

Documents necessary for the application procedure should be submitted not later than 1 day prior the expiration of current visa or permission. All documents have to be translated into Polish by a sworn translator and the application form has to be filled in Polish as well.

Residence Card is valid for 15 months+ 3 month extension. The stamp duty fees for a temporary residence card and procedure amount to 340 PLN.

For details please see the attached file, as below:

Temporary residence permit – other circumstances – graduate 

A temporary residence permit shall be granted when the purpose of the foreigner’s stay on Polish territory is to educate the undergraduate degree, postgraduate or graduate studies uniform or third cycle. The above-mentioned authorizations granted to the foreigner who intends to take a preparatory course of study on these studies in the Polish language. The aforementioned authorization shall be granted if the circumstances that are the basis for applying for this permit, justify the foreigner’s stay on Polish territory for a period longer than 3 months.

For details please see the webpage of the Immigration Office in Lodz:

Część 3_B5_24 (

Registration of stay (Meldunek)

Meldunek is the registration at the place of your residency in Poland.

ALL students should register their place of accommodation at the Municipal Office of Łódź immediately after their arrival to Łódź, at the Population Registration Section of the Administrative Department of the Municipality.

Students who stay at the dormitory will be registered by the dorm’s administration.

Students who rent a flat in the city should ask their landlord to assist them in the registration process.
The following documents are required to obtain the registration proof:

  1.  Passport
  2.  Flat-to-let or buy/sell contract (for those leaving  outside the dormitory)

Foreigners having the registration of stay (Meldunek) for longer than 3 months are being given the PESEL number – personal number of Public Electronic System of Population Evidence (Powszechny Elektroniczny System Ewidencji Ludności – PESEL)

PESEL numbers may be required by various Polish institutions (i.e. to conclude contracts for renting a flat, renting a car, buying internet and cable TV access etc.)

Responsibility for obtaining and maintaining legal status remains with the student.

Dormitory and School administration will assist you with the preparation of documents required to apply for registration of stay and the Residence Card.

Registration of residence – Ministry of the Interior and Administration – website (